Fit Testing Instructions
You must be medically cleared before you can be fit tested.
If you wear an N-95 respirator, you will be fit tested at HealthPartners Occupational and Environmental Medicine. Visit our clinical services page for instructions on scheduling your appointment.
Fit testing for other types of respirators:
- Kate Greenberg (Twin Cities campus)
- Andy Kimball (Duluth campus)
- Occupational Health (all other campuses)
On-campus process for fit testing:
- Fit tests will be done by University Health and Safety.
- Bring a copy of your Respiratory Medical Recommendation form to your fit test.
- If you already have a respirator, bring it with you. Otherwise, the appropriate respirator will be provided for you.
- The fit test takes about 15-minutes. The test is a series of 7-8 simple one-minute exercises designed to test the overall fit of the respirator. You will also receive basic information on using the respirator.
- No chewing gum, drinking coffee, or smoking 15-minutes before the test.
- Men are required to be clean-shaven in the areas where the respirator seal touches the face. If you are not clean-shaven, you will not be fit tested.
- It gets hot under the fit test hood. Wear scrubs or a short-sleeved shirt.