Fit Testing Instructions
You must be medically cleared before you can be fit tested.
If you wear an N-95 respirator, you will be fit tested at HealthPartners Occupational and Environmental Medicine. Visit our clinical services page for instructions on scheduling your appointment.
For all other respirators, contact Kate Greenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a fit test appointment on campus.
On-campus process for fit testing:
- Fit tests will be done by University Health and Safety.
- Bring a copy of your Respiratory Medical Recommendation form to your fit test.
- If you already have a respirator, bring it with you. Otherwise, the appropriate respirator will be provided for you.
- The fit test takes about 15-minutes. The test is a series of 7-8 simple one-minute exercises designed to test the overall fit of the respirator. You will also receive basic information on using the respirator.
- No chewing gum, drinking coffee, or smoking 15-minutes before the test.
- Men are required to be clean-shaven in the areas where the respirator seal touches the face. If you are not clean-shaven, you will not be fit tested.
- It gets hot under the fit test hood. Wear scrubs or a short-sleeved shirt.