Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) and Oversight
IBC Compliance Requirements
The research activities involving the following materials require IBC approval:
- Recombinant DNA (rDNA), including synthetic nucleic acid molecules, and artificial gene transfer—including work exempt from NIH r/sNA guidelines
- Biological toxins
- Infectious agents
- Human gene transfer
- Genetic modification of rodents
- Infectious agent usage for classroom
- Pre-made, engineered organisms, cells, or agents
- Potentially hazardous biological agents that may impact animals or the environment but are not generally considered infectious to humans
Note: Storage of biohazardous materials does not require IBC review and approval.
For more information or to begin the application process, visit the IBC website.