Prion Waste Handling
The following procedures are to be followed for disposing of prion waste. Other methods of waste disposal must first receive Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) approval.
Non-Tissue Solid Prion Waste (Includes Animal Bedding)
- Place waste in yellow bag
- Place in yellow barrel for incineration
- Call Facilities Management (4–2900) to arrange to have a yellow barrel delivered to the lab and for pickup/replacement of yellow barrels
Liquid Prion Waste
- Mix with NaOH for a final concentration of 1.0N NaOH and hold for 24 hours. Neutralize and dispose of down the drain or hold for chemical hazardous waste disposal
- Autoclave at 132°C for 4½ hours and dispose of down the drain
- If you generate large volumes of liquid prion waste, you may contact the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory to make arrangements for disposal in the tissue digester.
Sharps and Histology Slides
Place sharps in a puncture-proof red sharps container. When container is no more than ¾ full, close and seal the container. Place container in a yellow waste bag for incineration.
Note: Small quantities of sharps may be placed in other small, sealed, puncture-proof containers and put in yellow bag.
Infected Animal Carcasses and Tissue
Dispose of all infected carcasses and tissue in the tissue digester located at the Veterinary Diagnostic Lab on the St. Paul campus. See the Animal Tissue and Carcass Disposal Fact Sheet for more information.